Since 2001, the population of England and Wales has grown to 56.1 million: 53.0 million in England and 3.1 million in Wales. Of this 56.1 million, there were 27.6 million men (49.2%) and 28.5 million women (50.8%). This represents a growth of 3.7 million, or 7.1%, since the last census in 2001. Compared to the EU27, England’s growth rate is the 5th highest and Wales the 11th.
The median age of the populations of England and Wales is 39 (men: 38, women: 40). One sixth of the population is aged 65 or over, representing the highest proportion ever recorded in a census. Conversely, 3.5 million children were under 5 on census day, nearly half a million more than in 2001.
The average population density was 371 residents per square kilometre: 407 in England and 148 in Wales. In London the population density was 5,200 residents per square kilometre. The areas with the highest population density were: Islington, Kensington & Chelsea, Hackney, Tower Hamlets and Lambeth (all London). Those with the lowest population density were: Eden (North West), Powys (Wales), Ryedale (Yorkshire and the Humber), Richmondshire (Yorkshire and the Humber) and Ceredigion (Wales). Compared to the EU27, English population density ranks at 3rd and Welsh at 8th.
The largest proportional growth rates were in Tower Hamlets and Newham (both London). There were 23,4 million households on census night, the average size of which was 2.4 people per household. This is around half the amount of people per household when compared to 1911 (approx. 4.5 people per household). 56% of the total population change is due to migration, the remaining 44% can be put down to 6.6 million births and 5.0 million deaths.
Original data can be found here.